The Immigrant Centre depends on volunteers to enhance its services to newcomers. The minimum commitment is two hours per week for a 3-month period, depending on the opportunity.
Here is a list of some of the ways volunteers are involved at the Immigrant Centre. Please note that even though a volunteer position is listed, there may not be current openings for that position.
- One-to-One Citizenship Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping a permanent resident prepare for the citizenship test.
to-One English Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping newcomers develop their English language skills
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions
- Translator and Interpreter in the Language Bank – translating documents into English and interpreting in various environments, such as court. Must have an Canadian Language Benchmark of 8 or equivalent. Currently seeking Arabic, Kurdish, Mabaan, Sinhalese, Korean, Kirundi, Greek and Hebrew speaking interpreters and translators.
- Conversation Group Facilitator – 2 hour weekly commitment, facilitating a conversation group for newcomers. Must be fluent in English. EAL/ESL or other teaching experience an asset.
- One-to-One English Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping newcomers develop their English language skills. Must be fluent in English. EAL/ESL or other teaching experience an asset.
- One-to-One Citizenship Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping a permanent resident prepare for the citizenship test. A strong knowledge of Canadian history, government and geography is required.
- Computer Training Facilitator – 2 hour weekly commitment, helping newcomers learn the basics of Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail and the Internet. Applicants must be available on either Wednesdays from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm or Saturdays from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm for at least three months.
If you meet the position requirements and would like to volunteer at the Immigrant Centre, please complete the on-line application. If you do not receive a response within one week, please contact Ann at (204) 943-9969 ext. 300 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all applicants are subject to a screening and selection process.
Have you volunteered at the Immigrant Centre? Are you currently volunteering at the Immigrant Centre? Please click here to fill in the anonymous Volunteer Feedback Form.
Meet our Stars!
Every month, we profile one of our many talented and dedicated volunteers. You can see read about our featured volunteers on our Volunteer of the Month page.