Volunteers are involved in the following areas and programs at the Immigrant Centre. Please note that even though a volunteer position is listed, there may not be current openings for that position.
- Administrative Assistant – aiding with filing, creating packages, photocopying, data entry, various tasks around the office.
- Citizenship Class Facilitator – 3 hour weekly commitment facilitating a 6-week course on the Discover Canada Guide, which covers topics such as Canadian history, modern Canada and the Canadian government.
- Computer Training Facilitator – minimum 2 hour weekly commitment, helping newcomers learn the basics of Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail and Internet.
- Conversation Group Facilitator – 2 hour weekly commitment, facilitating a conversation group for newcomers.
- Cooking and Nutrition Class Assistant – 3 hour weekly commitment, assisting the facilitator teach low-cost, healthy, Canadian-style recipes, and the basics of healthy eating.
- One-to-One English Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping newcomers develop their English language skills.
- One-to-One Citizenship Tutor – 1.5 hour weekly commitment, helping a permanent resident prepare for the Canadian citizenship test.
- Photographer – taking pictures at events to post on our website and use for marketing.
- Translator and Interpreter – translating documents into English and interpreting in various environments, such as court.
- Video Creator – recording and editing video to be used in marketing, teaching and raising awareness.
- Writer – Research, interview and write stories for a variety of mediums, such as the Immigrant Centre website, Facebook page and marketing materials.
Have you volunteered at the Immigrant Centre? Are you currently volunteering at the Immigrant Centre? Please click here to fill in the anonymous Volunteer Feedback Form.
Meet our Stars!
Every month, we profile one of our many talented and dedicated volunteers. You can see read about our featured volunteers on our Volunteer of the Month page.